4 Portions/1 L
This is a very special recipe for me, because with my husband we decided to have this drink for our guests at out wedding in Autumn. We have prepared it for many people since then and everybody loved it. This drink it’s perfect for Winter and Christmas time, but if you are in the Southern Hemisphere, and Christmas is in Sommer, you can prepare it and cool it down and drink it with some ice cubes. We recommend you to use a special kind of vodka, if you are able to get it (with normal vodka it’s still tasty). Żubrówka is a Polish bison grass vodka which literally has a bison grass inside the bottle. We got to know and appreciate this vodka through our Polish friends. The good thing about this recipe, is that everybody in your family can drink it, because if you have kids or people who can’t drink alcohol, they can just drink it without the vodka. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
For 1 Liter Punch
- 900 ml Apple juice (more natural the better, try not to use an extra sweetened or a green apple juice)
- 160 ml Vodka (ideally Żubrówka Vodka)
- 2 small red apples (or 1 big one)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 cloves
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- *Optional for extra Christmas taste: 1 Star Anise and 2 cardamom seeds
- Peel and cut the apple in small dice.
- Put the apples on a pot, with the lemon juice. Add the apple juice and start cooking (low temperature).
- *If you do not need a non-alcoholic version you can add the vodka already.
- Add the cinnamon sticks. In a tea bag or a tea strainer, add the cloves and if you want also the Star Anise and the 2 cardamom seeds.
- If it isn’t too sweet, add the tsp of honey. Cook for approx. 10 minutes.
- In case you haven’t added vodka to the pot before, put it now in each mug (approx. 40 ml pro mug). Add the Punch with some apple pieces afterwards.
*There’s a Long drink called “Apple Strudel”, which is Vodka with apple juice. If you are spending Christmas in a hot place, you can prepare this recipe and add the vodka when it’s cooled down. Add some extra ice cubes and you will get your own Christmas version of the Apple Strudel.