I’ve always loved chicken, specially roasted. As a familiy it was our go-to food to eat on a picnic. What it makes this recipe more special than just a normal roasted chicken, it’s the honey sauce. It caramelises the chicken legs in a beautiful way and the flavours are just delicious. It goes well with so many things! You can never go wrong with this recipe!
- 5 chicken legs
- 4 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp “old style” mustard
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- Lemon juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Mix well half the salt plus all the other ingredients (besides the chicken) on a bowl.
- Use a casserole big enough to fit all the chicken legs. Put the chicken legs and pour the honey mixture over them. Use a brush or your hand to cover them everywhere with the mixture.
- You can let it rest for some minutes before putting the casserole in the oven, so the chicken can absorb the sauce. In the meantime preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Sprinkle some the salt over the chicken and put it on the oven.
- Roast for approx. 20 minutes and turn the pieces over. Sprinkle some more salt and roast for other 20 minutes approx. *If you want your chicken to get a pretty golden colour, in the last 3-5 minutes, turn the temperature up to 250°C or use the grill function from your oven.
- Poke your chicken legs on their thickest parts to check if they are done. If the juice comes out red or pink, you should cook them a bit longer. Your chicken is done when the juice comes out clear.
- Serve your chicken immediately.
This recipe goes perfect with many side dishes: rice, potatoes, salads or even eaten alone with some bread like Tapas style. I served the chicken with mashed potatoes and rocket/arugula salad, as you can see in the photo above.