This is one my favourite salads to prepare. It’s amazing how versatile it can be. You can eat it in your sandwiches, baos, hot dogs, Asian bowls, as a sidedish, etc. This delicious salad it’s very simple and easy to prepare, you should let it rest for some hours and it last for some days if you keep it on your fridge.
- 1/2 red cabbage (200 g approx.)
- 1 1/2 carrots (80-100 g approx.)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Fresh chopped parsley or coriander
For the Dressing:
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp regular sesame oil (or peanut oil)
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp Mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pinch of black pepper
*If you don’t have all the ingredients for the dressing, make sure to create a sweet-sour dressing with what you have at home together with some of the essentials to make it taste Asian style: ginger, soy sauce and sesame or peanut oil (if you don’t have those, replace them with sunflower oil but don’t use olive oil!)
- Remove the outer layer and the root of the cabbage before you start slicing it. Use a big knife, place the flat part of the cabbage on your cutting board and cut very thin layers.
- Put the cabbage on a bowl with water and a pinch of salt and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Peel the carrots. Grate half a carrot and the rest cut them in very thin strips.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing all the ingredients. It should taste like a sweet-sour Asian dressing with a touch of toasted flavour (from the sesame oil). Taste it and add more ingredients if you think it’s necessary.
- Strain the water out of the red cabbage. Now put it on a salad bowl (with a lid) and add the carrots and the dressing. Use a big spoon or your hands to mix well. Put the lid on and let it rest on your fridge overnight.
- On the next day, mix the salad one more time and add extra salt or lemon juice if necessary. Serve it on a salad plate or bowl and add the fresh chopped parsley/coriander and sprinkle the sesame seeds.
If you need some inspiration on how to eat this salad, in the photo above you can see these hot dogs, we serve them of course with this salad but we also added: small pieces of pickled cucumber, avocado mash, a mayo/ketchup/mustard sauce and grated horseradish. Delicious!!!